Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pleasant Surprises (in the kitchen)

Sometimes I get a little adventurous in my recipe "pinning". Something may look delicious on the computer screen, but when it comes to trying out the recipe my bravery sometimes fades. However, this week I took on a new recipe that was pretty far outside of my domestic comfort zone...a Thai inspired dish. Last night I made this Thai Penaut Quinoa Salad, with a few twists, and I LOVED the result.

source
Here's my changes: I didn't have quinoa on hand for once (we're quinoa fans in this house), so I swapped that with some couscous I had in the cupboard. I don't do cashews, so we subbed in some chopped peanuts. I omitted the basil. I think I added more than the recommended 1 cup of chopped cabbage and just eyeballed how much couscous I added. And the kicker...I sauted some shrimp in soy sauce and garlic powder and added that to the salad so it had the protein we were missing from the quinoa. This was really good. Ava even enjoyed it...I think she especially liked digging her fingers into that couscous. I was so anxious for leftovers, that I may have gotten into them before 11 am today. :)

We've also been working our way through large amounts of garden produce that we have been lucky enough to be given throughout this summer. This week, we put some of the zucchini towards some brownies! While the concept is similar to zucchini bread (replace egg with zucchini for moisture) I'd never tried this in brownie form. And this household loves it some brownies. We tried out this recipe two nights ago, and it hits the spot! They taste totally decadent.

source
Not all my kitchen adventures are successes, so I'll count these two as wins and add them to my cookbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment