Friday, August 31, 2012

Pinterest Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken

I'd like to use this blog to also document some recipes and meals we try. We like to try new recipes often. Pinterest has only fed this kitchen monster. Some recipes we've tried have been good, others not so much. So here's what we tried last night:

Pinterest Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken with Fried Rice...except I used wild turkey from my dad instead of chicken. He gave us several bags of wild turkey, and it's been really good and noticeably tender this year (wild turkey can often be pretty tough). We've been on a freezer clean out kick, so this recipe is one I thought I could easily swap turkey for chicken on.

The review: The turkey was good. You coat your chicken/turkey in cornstarch, THEN egg. We'd never tried that before, and it resulted in something like a tempura batter. We will be trying this method again next Spring when the morel mushrooms come back up. I also added some vegetables to the mix: snap peas, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts. I snuck in brown rice instead of fried rice, but left out the peas and carrots. The turkey was good, the sauce okay, the fried rice was great. Neither of us are huge sweet and sour sauce fans, so I'm not surprised we weren't blown away. But the rice! That's the best fried rice I've ever made...with no butter needed to boot!


Please note: This is not my picture, but one from the original website.

I'll continue to use my dad's wild turkey in some Pinterest asian recipes. Wynston thinks the sauce is a keeper, if I cook the vegetables seperate next time. I'll keep the batter and fried rice recipes for sure.

Pinterest Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment