Friday, February 28, 2014

Valentine's Day 2014

Yes yes, I realize that Valentine's Day was two weeks ago. Better late than never.

This year, like last, we really didn't get to plan a traditional date or celebration of Valentine's Day. Last year, we were with Ava in the hospital so we got her a cute Vday bib, and stayed by her side.

This year we were again scheduled to be in St. Louis on Valentine's Day for doctor's visits. But if you've been reading this blog, you know that sickness postponed that visit. So we stayed home on Valentine's Day and worked on recuperating. We did however go buy a steak, and an impromptu pair of lobster tail's to fix for dinner the next night after Ava had gone to bed. And I have a confession...both items were purchased at Aldi's (discount grocery store). We have started buying 90% of our groceries there, and we thought we'd give it a try. The steak was a steak. Not the best I've had, not the worst. It was no Harter House tri-tip. We did try out a new cooking method where you get a cast iron skillet piping hot, add steak, DON'T TOUCH for 3 minutes (or 4 depending on thickness), then flip and repeat. Seriously no peeking. After your 6 minutes are up, you remove steak to a cooling rack to rest for at least 10 minutes. This method yielded very pleasing results and cooked the steak nicely. I'll do it again.

But back to those lobster tails. They.Were.Amazing. I am not kidding. You heard me right. Aldi's frozen lobster tails were super yummy. We just boiled them. I couldn't believe it.


Ya ya, I know my food photography skills are pretty lacking.
How was your Valentine's Day? I hope it was full of fuzzy warm lovey feelings. Speaking of, I also recently received my main Christmas gift from Wynston. He purchased me a bracelet I'd been coveting on Etsy; it's just a simple bar bracelet stamped with her first name and date of birth. Simple and lovely. I wear it almost everyday. Love <3



No comments:

Post a Comment